Possums can live for 15 years and are protected wildlife losing their homes. Why not consider making your garden possum friendly?
How can we help?
- Plant local native trees such as Eucalyptus and Moonah.
- Place a nest box in your garden 1.5 metres from your roof.
- Keep your compost covered.
- During hot weather leave a shallow dish of water on the ground for the possums to rehydrate.
- Ensure dogs and cats cannot access the possums when sleeping, feeding or drinking.
- Never feed possums human food or pet food.
- Provide a swing rope for possums to travel safely across your property.
Did you know?
- Possums are territorial and mark their boundary.
- Are nocturnal so have good night vision.
- Bright light from torches damages their eyes.
- Have two thumbs for climbing.
- Their prehensile tail is curled up to carry nesting material and to help them balance.
- The joey is the size of a jelly bean when born.
- Are preyed upon by powerful owls, foxes, cats and dogs.
- Don’t like stinky plants.
- The red mark on the chest of the Brushtail Possum is its scent gland, used to mark its territory.
Find out the difference between a Ringtail and Brushtail Possum in the Possum Garden Brochure.