Current Employment Opportunities
Coastal Operations Officer – Natural Resource Management Team
About Barwon Coast
Barwon Coast Committee of Management is responsible for the management of 13 kilometres of coastal Crown land reserves between Collendina and Black Rock. As coastal manager, Barwon Coast provides resources to care, protect and manage the coastal dune systems, public open spaces, and beaches whilst providing high quality infrastructure to meet the needs of the local community and visitors.
The coastal reserves comprise of important habitat for many flora and fauna species, and includes coastal areas characterised by sandy beaches, dune systems, cliffs, shore platforms, and an estuary. Coastal Operations Officers are responsible for carrying out a range of defined natural resource management works, operational maintenance (walking tracks, toilet blocks, playgrounds, fences, lights), conservation and project works throughout the coastal reserve.
Coastal Reserve Officers are required to at all times be aware of and take action on matters impacting public safety, public presentation and the sustainability of our coastal environment.
We are currently looking to engage a Coastal Operations Officer to join our Natural Resource Management team on a fixed term contract. The initial fixed term contract will be full time for four months, with the possibility of future extensions.
The Coastal Operations team work together to conserve the Coastal Reserves natural features, implement the Coastal Reserves annual works program and participate in a range of Natural Resource Management activities. Daily tasks include:
- The delivery and monitoring of pest plant controls;
- Revegetation activities involving planting, clearing, tree maintenance and landscaping;
- General building maintenance, mowing, fence repairs and rubbish management.
- Research and monitoring of wildlife, flora and fauna;
- The implement and monitoring of pest control activities.
The successful applicant will have some experience in a similar role and will:
- Understand the value of preserving and maintaining coastal reserves.
- Be committed to enabling the public’s enjoyment of the coastal reserves.
- Possess the qualities of honesty, integrity, enthusiasm and reliability with the ability to work unsupervised.
- Take pride in their work and possess a positive work ethic.
- Have the ability to work a seasonal roster including weekends and public holidays.
- Understand the importance of maintaining safe work practices.
- Demonstrate experience in liaising with members of the public, being well-presented, friendly and having a strong customer service focus with the ability to manage difficult situations positively.
- Be experienced in lawfully and safely operating heavy plant and machinery, including but not limited to trucks, tractors, agricultural machinery, chainsaws and other associated equipment.
If you have one or a combination of the following, we encourage you to apply:
- Qualifications or skills relevant to Natural Resource Management.
- Proven experience in a similar role and working environment.
- Light Truck Licence, Skid Steer Tractor Operation.
- Valid Australian manual Driving Licence.
- Level 2 Workplace First Aid.
- Agricultural Chemical User Permit (ACUP).
- Valid Working with Children’s Check.
Terms and Conditions of employment are governed by the Barwon Coast Enterprise Agreement 2016.
To apply for the position please email a copy of your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Stephanie Davey, Human Resources on 03 5254 1118 if you would like further information regarding the position, including a copy of the Position Description.
Applications close on Friday 17th August.