The Barwon Coast is an area of great natural beauty with significant geomorphology, wildlife habitat and cultural heritage. Informed management of the coast into the future will continue to ensure protection of these valuable attributes.
The Barwon Coast community consists of residents from both Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads towns, volunteer organisations and the thousands of visitors to our shores each year. Community input and ownership is an integral part of coastal management and Barwon Coast recognises the valuable contributions that volunteers make to our community and the environment we manage.
During 2014/15 we have invested in excess of 3,000 hours supporting local community groups. Community volunteer organisations working with us to care for our coast include:
- Barwon Heads Sustainability Group
- Coast Watch
- Friends of the Bluff
- Friends of the Hooded Plovers Bellarine
- Ocean Grove Coastcare
- Friends of the Lobster Pot
Barwon Coast is also committed to supporting major events such as:
- Community Boating Day
- Festival of the Sea Barwon Heads
- Ocean Grove Surf Life Saving Club Rip to River Fun Run
- Barwon Heads Primary School Sheepwash Classic Fun Run
- M~M Extreme Arts Walk
- Clean Up Australia Day
- Bellarine Secondary College Environment Day
- BirdLife Australia Hooded Plover program
- Barwon Heads Bluff New Years Eve Fireworks
Barwon Coast also makes significant contributions to, and co-ordinates the operation of the free summer coastal shuttle bus, transporting beach users to and from the coast to minimise car parking pressures.