Barwon Heads Caravan Park Masterplan
In late 2010 the Masterplan for the Barwon Heads Caravan Park was adopted by the Committee after several years development including consultation with caravan park siteholders.
In addressing issues raised by campers a number of changes to the proposed layout and usage of the Barwon Heads Caravan Park were made and the Committee resolved that the following major physical works be incorporated in the Masterplan:
- Installation of 8 cabins at the entrance to the caravan park with the loss of a small number of Weekender and casual sites.
- Construction of a new Beach House and a new Boat House (completed).
- Toilet Block 6 to be demolished and rebuilt with site adjustment (to be completed by Dec 2010)
- Extending the size of the caretakers residence (completed )
- Potential for construction of a group stay facility
In January 2009 a draft masterplan for the Barwon Heads Caravan Park was released for feedback from campers and the local community.
The masterplan was developed following upon the August 2005 release of the Victorian Government's Caucus Reference Group on Caravan and Camping Parks on Coastal land, and the following key principles were addressed by Barwon Coast in developing the 10 year masterplan
- Improving equity of access to caravan parks.
- Improving overall environmental performance of caravan parks.
- Maintaining an appropriate mix of accommodation options ranging from; casuals thru to weekenders (annuals) and cabins.
- Improving the amenity of caravan parks.
- Maintaining financial viability of caravan park operations to provide funding for natural resource management activities.
Prime & Premium site summer season phase out.
In early 2008 a program to improve access to the caravan park to all prospective users was introduced and saw the phasing out of summer season bookings (Dec to Apr incl) & extended summer season bookings (Nov to Apr) on prime and premium sites replaced by bookings of a maximum of 6 weeks or an off peak season in lieu.
This has opened up the park for new campers in December and from February thru to Easter.