Barwon Coast Committee of Management Inc. (Barwon Coast) is appointed by the Victorian State Government to manage 13km of coastal Crown land from 7W Ocean Grove to 42W Barwon Heads, along the Bass Strait coast of the Bellarine Peninsula.
Committee members are appointed under the Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978 and are selected through a public skills-based ‘expression of interest’ process and volunteer their time to oversee the business operations of Barwon Coast; having responsibility for:
- The natural values of the foreshore reserves
- Cultural heritage protection
- The Port of Barwon Heads
- Caravan parks and camping ground
- Commercial leases, licences and permits
- Implementation of tourism, recreation and educational services and facilities
Barwon Coast has a work force of around 30 full time employees plus part timers to deliver state government policies on behalf of all Victorians. Revenue of around $5M annually is generated from caravan park operations, lease, licence and permit fees and grant applications.